Multiple choices for RAID-0, best performance?

Daniel Eriksson daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com
Tue Jun 22 17:40:08 PDT 2004

With the recent addition of a geom-enabled vinum, and the discussed (but not
yet functional?) geom stripe module, we now have 4 different choices for
software RAID-0 on ATA devices (the other two are regular vinum and
ataraid).

I'm currently using a mix of vinum and ataraid on one of my servers, but I
haven't been in a position to do any proper performance measurements yet
(it's a production server).

Are there any obvious performance differences between the different ways of
doing RAID-0? Any difference in resource usage?

Also, will the RAID-0 performance of ataraid be affected a lot depending on
what controller is used? For example would there be any performance
difference (transfer speed and/or system resource usage) between ataraid on
a HPT374-based card (such as the Highpoint RocketRAID 454) and one of the
new Promise cards (which we have really good drivers for afaik).

Daniel Eriksson