kdm and startkde

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Sun Jun 20 13:46:02 PDT 2004

Brett Wiggins wrote:

>hello,
>      I am having some problems with startkde and kdm. When I run
>startkde i get the following outpit;
>
> xset: unable to open dispaly ""
> xsetroot: unable to open display ''
> startkde: starting up...
> ksplash cannot connect to X server
> kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set
> Warning: connect() failed: : no such file or directory
> ksmserver : cannot connect to X server
> startkde: shutting down
> Warning: connect() failed: : no such file or directory
> Error : Can't contact kdeinit!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts
> startkde: done
>
>When I run startx kde runs fine.

I thinks it's because startx launches X before it starts startkde, and
startkde only attempts to launch KDE, which isn't going to work if there
is no X server running.

>   When I edit /etc/ttys to enable a graphical login, kdm runs but
>nothing happens when I log in. The login screen is just reloaded. Any
>help would be great.

What about XDM? Is that working? Is your /var/log/XFree86 giving you any
useful output? (connection refused or something?)

Cheers,

Jorn