Apache2 and UserDir in FreeBSD

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Wed Jun 16 23:06:16 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Duane Winner wrote:

> Does anybody know why this is happening:
>
> I have found that with apache2, installed via portinstall on both 4.9
> and 5.x, the UserDir is enabled even if it is commented out in httpd.conf!
>
> It is on by default in the stock httpd.conf that installs with apache2.
> If I comment it out and restart, I have found that users can still
> create "public_html" directories in their home directories, and publish
> content.

I found this odd as well on apache13 a while ago. UserDir is enabled by
default for apache13 and will only be 'disabled' if you set it
disabled explicitly in httpd.conf:

UserDir disabled

Otherwise, ~/public_html
Otherwise the httpd will serve up requests for:

http://example.com/~user/

 from:

~user/public_html

on the local file system.

> Why is this happening?

I presume it happens because apache is built with defaults set so that
UserDir is enabled by default.  If you don't want UserDir enabled,
probably the easiest thing to do is just disable it as above.

Good luck.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer