Still no graphic desktop

Matt Navarre mnavarre at cox.net
Wed Jun 16 22:45:41 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 09:14, Lloyd Hayes wrote:
>  >How are you trying to start X Windows? If you're just expecting it to
>
> start, you're going to end up disappointed.
>
> Oops...
> I was expecting the graphical desktop to start automatically. However I
> also tried startx, and I played with xdm. Whatever I was doing kept
> coming up with errors about no screen.

Aha! a clue! You are missing at least the Screen section of your XFree config
file. The Screen section tells the X server what combination of monitor,
video card, resolution and color depth to use.

I'm guessing that your XF86Config file isn't configured right(or at all). Try
the xf86config command I mentioned earlier, I've had better luck with that in
general than the XFree86 -configure route in the past.

Don't feel bad, configuring X is one of the most common stumbling blocks for
new FreeBSD users, especially people coming from a Mac or Windows background.
Most Linux distros configure X automagically at install time, FreeBSD doesn't
for a couple of reasons: A) X isn't part of the base system, it's an add-on
like any other port. B) There's a stronger "learn how to do it" meme 'round
these parts than, say, the Linux or Windows camps. Linux (at least the "main"
distros) has much more a "Mom should be able to use it" mentallity. C) It's
usually not a stumbling block for long, and you end up learning a bit about
the system in the process. Think of it as a learning experience :) Or just
keep repeating "That which does not kill me can only make me stronger".

--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming,
 and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind