IDE hard disk recoms

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 16 10:06:45 PDT 2004

freebsd_daemon wrote:
> does someone have some recommondations for IDE hard disks to use in a small
> server?

Sure.  I'd pick up a 7200 RPM ATA drive with 8MB of cache, such as the Western
Digital WD1200JB.  Pick another size (40GB, 80GB, probably through 200GB) if
you like.

Seagate and Maxtor are also pretty good names; the former tends to be more
expensive and higher performing, the latter are quiet, a little slow, but
generally reliable and cheap.

The IBM UltraStar models are quite good, whereas the DeskStars have dubious
reliability, and Quantum made the term "stiction" famous more than a decade
ago with the Q105 SCSI drives that wouldn't spin up, so I wouldn't rely on
that vendor either.

--
-Chuck