Mail

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jun 16 04:24:12 PDT 2004

Jason Dusek <jdusek at cs.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a lot of trouble setting up mail. And, perhaps more
> importantly, I am having a lot of trouble figuring what software to
> set-up. Sendmail is standard but buggy, so I imagine that Postfix is a
> better choice. But what should I use for secure IMAP?

I recommend Dovecot.

> Is there a big
> book of mail that explains what it is all about, so that I can make an
> informed decision?

Yes, it's called the Internet.  Considering there are many mail server project
from many different sources, it's beyond the scope of the FreeBSD project to
give you information on all of them.  You're going to have to track down each
project and read up on their homepage what their design goals are, what
capabilities they have available and what admin is involved.

The biggest problem with OSS is there are too many choices.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies