160 Gb Harddisk: needs extra tweeking?

Rob stopspam at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 15 06:26:29 PDT 2004

Hi,

I never had such a monster of a big harddisk; hence my question.

I've got a 160 Gb Western Digital Harddisk (WD 1600 JB).

It comes with a tiny CD-rom, about 8cm in diameter, entitled
"Data Lifeguard Tools". I don't know what to do with this CDrom.

I am planning to use this harddisk as the only harddisk in
my PC and install FreeBSD (preferably version 5-Current) on it.
Will I encounter problems? Does it need extra tweeking?

The Western Digital homepage says somewhere: "Hard drives larger than
137 GB require a controller card to utilize full drive capacity."
What does that mean?

Another question. The Western Digital homepage lists this about the harddisk:
   Data Transfer Rate (Buffer to Host)
	100 MB/s (Mode 5 Ultra ATA)
	66.6 MB/s (Mode 4 Ultra ATA)
	33.3 MB/s (Mode 2 Ultra ATA)
	16.6 MB/s (Mode 4 PIO)
	16.6 MB/s (Mode 2 multi-word DMA)

Do I have to tell this to the kernel somehow, or is this a BIOS thing?
Are there good reasons not to choose the fastest option "Mode 5" here?

Thanks for help and advice.

Rob.