ipfw: question about keep-state on icmp

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 13 08:48:33 PDT 2004

I think if you read closely you will find out the keep-state option
does not work on the icmp protocol because icmp is stateless
protocol.  This does not mean that ipfw will give coding error if
you code it.

You have to have an icmp stateless rule to allow it out and another
to allow it in.

allow icmp from me to any out  via xl0

allow icmp from any to me icmptype 0   in  via xl0