Frontpage and jails and possible alternatives

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 10 17:36:13 PDT 2004

Lucas Holt <luke at foolishgames.com> wrote:
> > I would second this.
> >
> > At least I know the core OS is secure and stable.  The only thing I
> > need to
> > worry about is the Frontpage extension itself.  Customers are
> > customers ...
> > they want what they want, and if I don't give it to them, they'll take
> > their
> > money elsewhere.
>
> I just remember working at a hosting company a few years back.   I
> didn't administer the linux servers, but I recall the linux admin had a
> great deal of trouble with unix frontpage extensions and getting them
> upgraded periodically.  He often sat on stale software because it was a
> pain.  I don't believe any operating system is more secure than
> another.  It all depends who is setting them up.  My former boss was
> very lax about security and his linux systems were often rooted.  My NT
> servers were never rooted as i took proper security precautions and
> patched regularly.  People can get in through services more often than
> exploiting OS vulnerabilities.  of course anyone can get rooted, I was
> just rather lucky.

>From the way you're talking, it doesn't sound like luck, it sounds like you
were smart.

I agree with the general statement ... that any OS can be secure if properly
adminned.  I just find that it's much, much more work to properly admin a
MS system than FreeBSD!

Find me anything similar to portaudit in the Windows world.  The tools in
FreeBSD a just plain better.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies