Frontpage and jails and possible alternatives

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 10 08:19:54 PDT 2004

Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:38:18 -0400
> Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> granted us these pearls of wisdom:
>

> > I just learned that if you run Apache+Frontpage, you can't teach Apache to
> > only listen on a single IP address.  For some reason, Frontpage causes
> > Apache to always bind to all IP addresses.  Somehow, this stupidity doesn't
> > really surprise me too much.
> >
> > The reason I wanted to do this is because I have a machine I want to
> > set jails up on, so I can run multiple instances of Apache.  But I didn't
> > want to mess with the existing Apache installation right now.
> >
> > Anyway ... in the long run I've got two choices:
> > 1) Get Apache+Frontpage running in a jail so it will quit fscking up the other
> >    stuff I'm trying to do on this machine
> > 2) Find some alternative to frontpage to provide frontpage services that
> >    behaves like a proper server.
> >
> > My questions are (respectively):
> > 1) Does anyone have Apache+Frontpage successfully running in a jail?  I just
> >    thought I'd ask before I spent (wasted?) a lot of time trying to make it
> >    work.
> > 2) Can anyone suggest an alternative to Apache+Frontpage?  I prefer scp myself
> >    (and there are even spiffy GUI scp clients for Windows) but many of these
> >    clients _insist_ on using Frontpage, so I _must_ continue to cater to them.
> >
> > TIA for any answers.
>
> Sorry if this is off track but one wonders if you need to have clients
> upload to a production box with FP. Can you set up a staging server so
> that clients can upload and view content then give them a simple admin
> page where they can push a button that sets off an rsync script to the
> production box. Your production machine could have all kinds of jails
> and fancy stuff but no FP extentions. Any old piece of junk could be
> pressed into service as a staging box. At least that way you could do
> away with FP on the production box and apache could be jailed for life.

Thanks, Luke.

That's definately a good idea.  The problem is that the "old pieces of junk,
pressed into service" are the very reason I'm doing this project.  We already
have a number of older machines doing various stuff, and I'm trying to rearrange
things to make better use of each of the various machines and it's capabilities.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies