java not running .jar files without absolute path. (take II)

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 03:23:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 epilogue at allstream.net wrote:

> hello jan,
>
> > echo $JAVA_HOME
> JAVA_HOME: Undefined variable.
>
> hmmm.  i don't recall ever setting that variable.  yet, i do recall
> this not being an issue with previous installs of java.
>
> is JAVA_HOME a variable that is required? shouldn't the $PATH entry be
> sufficient?

Well, the path entry only suffices on my installation; I merely
hypothesised that an erroneous setting of that variable might be the
cause.

If I were you I'd take this to the freebsd-java list, there's more of a
concentration of expertise there :-)

New Freedom of Information Act: theirs, to yours. Happy now?