Improper shutdown of system / Fragmentation Problems / Boot logs

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 12:14:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:36:52 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Randy Pratt <rpratt1950 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > FreeBSD will defragment itself without any action from the user.
> > > However, defragmentation requires some blank space, and (ideally) you
> > > should not let any partition get more than 80% full. You can check on
> > > that with "df -h":
> >
> > I've been running partitions well over 90% for over six years on
> > FreeBSD and have not seen any problems with doing so.
> >
> > Do you have a FreeBSD documentation reference for that 80% figure?
>
> man tunefs
>
> See, in particular, the section on the -m option, which describes (in brief)
> the known performance problems and how FreeBSD reacts.

My minfree space is at the default of 8% and the man page says this
is space held back from normal users.  Is that 8% also held back
from the df output?  I'm thinking that it is since I've seen posts
where users have greater than 100% showing in their df output.

I was interpreting the 80% number being applied to the numbers
shown by df.  If its 98% as shown by df
(8% minfree + 2% more = 10% of total disk capacity), then that isn't
too bad.  I think I'm under that most of the time.

Would the total disk size start to come into play at some point?
10% of an 8G disk is a whole lot smaller than 10% of a 200G disk.

Thanks for the pointer too!

Best regards,

Randy