How to turn off keyboard bell

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Wed Jun 9 12:02:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:14:50 -0700
"Bob" <BHockney at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm having a difficult time turning off the keyboard bell.  I have
> tried kbdcontrol -b off and setting keybell="NO" in rc.conf, but this
> only shortens it down to a chirp.  If I set kbdcontrol -b visual, then
> the audible bell goes away completely and I get a flashing screen
> instead.  What am I missing here?  How can I turn the bell off
> completely?  This is on a fresh install of 4.9.
>
> -Bob

Hi Bob,

I think this bug has been fixed since 4.9 RELEASE.  You might want to
try updating your sources with cvsup, or simply applying the patch that
fixes the bug (below), and rebuilding your kernel.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c.diff?r1=1.336.2.15&r2=1.336.2.16

-Chris

P.S. please CC me in any replies as I am no longer subscribed to this
list.