Dangerous file system / disk problem

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 8 02:39:02 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 05:20, Ben Paley wrote:
> On Monday 07 June 2004 16:44, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> > Notice the size recorded for this slice is zero.
> >
> > If the "cylinders=155061 heads=16 sectors/track=63" is somewhere
> > near the reasonable possible geometry description then virtually
> > the entire disk has been allocated to the FreeBSD slice.
>
> Yes it is, all of it (or, all of it that I could withot going 'dangerously
> dedicated'). I have never had any intention of putting Windows on this
> disk. I think W98 just assumed it 'cos it was the primary master.

I now have a clearer impression of the situation.
I had erroneously understood windows was actually running from that slice and
that it must have really been bigger than it appeared.

> But seriously, does any of this suggest a course of action to you? I'm
> planning to try the "set sysid to 0" plan... what if that doesn't work?

Sounds like an excellent idea. Perhaps windows is seeing the slice as a fs
it knows about but finds it unformatted, so is offering to do that for you.

So maybe setting sysid to zero (which I think registers as an undefined
slice) will stop windows making the offer.

Whatever else I can't see how this would make the situation worse.

Good luck,

Malcolm