perl -MCPAN problem

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon Jun 7 13:25:39 PDT 2004

At 02:22 PM 6/6/2004, JJB wrote:
>When I run  perl -MCPAN -e shell   from the command line I get
>"no route to host" message.
>[snip]
>
>I all ready issued this command from the command line
>setenv FTP_PASSIVE "1"

I've had my share of difficulties with this too, in the past, and found
that the immediate solution was to select appropriate nearby mirror sites
rather than trying to use ftp.perl.com. There is something funky going on
there with DNS and load balancing, whereas I almost always get a clean
connect with my selected mirror site. However, this "immediate" solution is
not really the "correct" one.

Try not to use "perl -MCPAN -e shell" for updating your perl modules.
Instead, use portupgrade to install perl modules from the ports collection
if at all possible. Otherwise, you will tend to make portupgrade very
unhappy. I am still learning the ups and downs of using portupgrade, but it
is way more ups than downs (with one of the biggest downsides being trying
to get it happy if you've previously done lots of MCPAN shell updates).

Greg Barniskis <gregb_at_scls.lib.wi.us>