perl -MCPAN problem

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 6 12:22:04 PDT 2004

When I run  perl -MCPAN -e shell   from the command line I get
"no route to host" message.
This box has public internet access as everything else works,
so I know that error message is not correct.
I looked in my firewall log file and I see that at the time I was
doing -MCPAN, I have an inbound port 21 packets that I deny and log.
I do not allow remote ftp access to my system as I do not have
an ftp server.

Now question is, Is perl -MCPAN process in some way causing this to
occur, and if so how do I tell the perl -MCPAN process to use
outbound
ftp passive mode?

I all ready issued this command from the command line
setenv FTP_PASSIVE "1"

Thanks for your help