Parallel port probe failure in 5.2.1

d.main at att.net d.main at att.net
Sat Jun 5 10:47:38 PDT 2004

Hello!  Could anyone help me understand and resolve why FreeBSD 5.2.1 encounters
a parallel port probe failure?  When I boot, I do not find the predicted /dev/ppc0
and /dev/lp0 devices.  If I boot in verbose mode, I the following is in
/var/run/dmesg.boot:

ppc0: parallel port found at 0x378
ppc0: using extended I/O port range
ppc0: <Parallel port> failed to probe at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0

When using the KDE InfoCenter, under IO-Ports I find that 0x377-0x3bf is reserved
by root0.  This range would overlap the port IO range listed on the ppc0
messages.  I don't know if these are related, but they seem to be to me.

I found the text "failed to probe" in /usr/src/sys/isa/isa_common.c, but the
source code didn't give me much to go on.  I'm afraid I don't know enough yet
about kernel modules and configuration to understand it.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1 (installed from the CD) on a Dell Dimension 8100 with
256K.  Nothing too special except for a second Seagate 120GB drive (limited to
120GB to avoid having to introduce potentially incompatible hardware), and a
combined USB2/Firewire card from Adaptec (which does probe successfully and
appears to function correctly).

It would be great actually if someone could give me two answers (I know one
should not post two questions, but perhaps one can ask for two answers).  First,
what might be a quick fix to get my parallel port recognized?  Second, how does
one go about identifying and remedying port IO configuration conflicts?

This is my first question ever posted to freebsd-questions. Thanks in advance
for your patience and assistance.

--David
d.main at att.net