x-forwarding problem - no window contents

Simon Timms timms at ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 4 07:10:23 PDT 2004

Hi,
I.m having a problem with x-forwarding.  I have looked through past
questions but I haven.t seen anything on this particular topic.  I have
two FreeBSD 5.2_1 machines at home, one of which I run headless.  Usually
I manage the headless machine from windows using x-forwarding and either
exceed or x-win and putty.  Recently I decided that I hate windows so much
that it was time to change fulltime to FreeBSD on my desktop however a
problem arises.  When I forward anything from the server to my desktop
machine I don't get the contents of any window.  The window frame appears
along with the title and is sized correctly but there is nothing inside
the frame.

I have tried using several different window managers and different users
in the hopes it was some sort of setting I had accidentally triggered
but to no avail.  Has anybody seen this before and how do I fix it?
I assume that it is a problem on the desktop machine since forwarding
does work between the server and other boxes.

Thanks,
Simon

Appologies if this is a double post it seems that my first attempt was
lost somewhere in the bit bucket in the sky.