c++ compile problem

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 3 17:09:25 PDT 2004

John Oxley wrote:
> I have written and incredibly complex cpp program
[ ...hello, world deleted... ]
> the compiler throws many error messages
> $ g++ -ansi -pedantic -Wall -ggdb -o hello hello.cpp 2>&1 | wc -l
>       88
>
> I have posted the messages at http://oxo.rucus.net/cpp-err.txt
>
> If I compile without -ansi and -pedantic, everything works fine.  This
> is my first foray into cpp on FreeBSD, before I have coded only in C.
> Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Don't use -pedantic unless you are willing to submit patches to fix the
warnings being generated.  However, if you update your OS from 5.1 to 5.2.1,
you will probably discover that the warnings go away to due cleanups and fixes
within the system header files made since 5.1...

--
-Chuck