Running FreeBSD/PostgreSQL on high-end dual Xeon box

Kenji M kenji at kenjim.com
Thu Jun 3 14:42:59 PDT 2004

Hello everyone, first time list leech.

I am in the process of speccing out a high end PC to be used
as a database server for PostgreSQL.  We are currently running
MySQL on Linux, but want to migrate our code to PostgreSQL and
we are primarily a FreeBSD shop.

I am currently specing a 2U dual Xeon server and hope to use
RAID 0+1 capability.  The question is for PostgreSQL admins...

1) Which RAID controller should we use?

2) Considering Q1, does it not even make sense to use FreeBSD+PostgreSQL
and bite the bullet and go with Linux (assuming it has better hw RAID
support) and run PostgreSQL on that using a fancier journaling filesystem.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

-Kenji

--
kenji morishige