USB Drive on Current

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Wed Jun 2 12:26:40 PDT 2004

Yet another user out here trying to get a USB flash drive working.  I've got a
number of other USB devices working nicely, like an HP printer and a Logitech
mouse.  Uncounted hours have gone into getting a USB flash drive to work
though.

First problem here is that my system doesn't seem to recognize that a drive
has been inserted.  After running through edits on umass.c, usbdevs, and
scsi_da.c I managed to get a 32M ACDC drive to work.  Problem is, it only
works on boot up.  It detects when I detach the drive, but no further notice
upon putting it back in.

I've tried 2 other USB drives, and none of them seem to be detected upon
insertion.  These same drives I've had luck with getting to work on 4.10 on
an identical PC.  What's the magic I'm missing here?

Running with:
FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Tue Jun  1 12:27:50 PDT 2004

I have usbd and devd running from rc.conf.

Applicable Kernel Entries
# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners

Thanks,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."