script entry to finding the version after a cvsup

Paul Hamilton paul at bdug.org.au
Tue Jun 1 06:53:26 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have written a basic script to cvsup, buildworld and install the new
kernel-world etc.  I have introduced some basic logging, so I can track the
time taken.  Now I would like to track the version it was before the upgrade
(ie. uname -r ), and what it is after the upgrade.  Now, I can't use
uname -r, because the server has to be restarted so it can pick up the new
kernel etc.

So my question is,  where can I find a entry in the downloaded kernel/world
source files that says that it is FreeBSD 4.9 p9 etc.  I can't use
stable-supfile, because it only records the 'branch' that is being upgraded,
not the full version.

Any clues?

Cheers,

Paul Hamilton