safe mode for kernel.old

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Jul 31 08:01:36 PDT 2004

"JJB" <Barbish3 at adelphia.net> wrote:

> I think you have missed some very important details. In 4.x releases
> when you do a kernel compile the system automatically renames the
> current kernel to kernel.old for you. There is also a kernel.generic
> which is always there.
>
> In 5.x versions the whole kernel boot process was replaced with new
> method and the auto rename of the kernel no longer happens on a
> recompile and there is no kernel.generic module available.   Whoever
> added the new boot process to 5.x did real poor job of integrating
> the new pirated boot code into Freebsd.  This should be reported as
> a bug by everybody who wants the old kernel rename  process added
> back into FreeBSD.

What are you talking about?  I did a cvsup/make kernel process just a
week ago on a 5.1 machine, and the 5.2 kernel refused to work with the
network card.  Lucky for me, kernel.old was in the boot directory, and
I was able to move it back over kernel.

Yes, the process and everything is different, but the basic fallback
device is still there.

> Submit Bug report.

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies