backspace and delete keys behavior

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 30 06:30:33 PDT 2004

Peter Ryan wrote:
> I've got the same thing on the 2 machines i am experimenting
> with.  I am new and thought it was a standard feature :)
>
> I also defined a standard US 101 keyboard.
>
> Makes me think there is a setting or choice at installation that
> deals with this, rather than having to patch something.

Add

keysym Delete = 0x04

to ~/.xmodmaprc

and add

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

to ~/.xinitrc

To implement this in a running X session type this in an xterm

xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = 0x04"

Actually, this is probably a better solution for the OP as it is global
whereas my previous suggestion is xterm specific.

HTH

Regards,

Mark