java jdk14 install - cannot find file

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 03:10:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:00:23AM +0800, Peter Ryan wrote:

> as part of the jdk14 install, i have to
> download the file j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
> from the sun web site and put it into the
> /usr/ports/distfiles folder.
> I did that - no problem.
> I can see the file listed in the right place.
>
> When i do the "Make", it aborts with an error.
> It cannot find the file I just downloaded.

The distfiles the java/jdk14 port is looking for are:

    % make -V DISTFILES
    j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip j2sdk-1_4_2-bin-scsl.zip bsd-jdk14-patches-6.tar.gz

The first two of those should come from Sun's website, and the third
from the eyesbeyond.com site.

What you've got is the distfile for the java/linux-sun-jdk14 port,
which is required to bootstrap building the native java/jdk14 port.
(You only need the java/linux-sun-jdk14 port the first time you build
java/jdk14: after that you can use it to rebuild itself: just set
NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes in the make(1) argument list)

Actually, you haven't got quite the right distfile even now. It should
be:

    % make -V DISTFILES
    j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin

(ie Patch level 05 rather than 04).  Re-cvsup to make sure your ports
tree is up to date, then:

    # cd /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14
    # make install

Assuming you'ld already got linux compatability mode enabled -- if you
didn't before, it will be installed as a dependency.  You may well
need to reboot around this point to get that working properly.

    # cd ../jdk14
    # make install

and follow the instructions it prints out about how to get hold of the
source code.  Once you've got the native JDK installed, you can, if
you wish, delete linux-sun-jdk14, but having it installed does no real
harm other than taking up diskspace.

Yes, it is inordinately complicated to install a native JDK from
source.  Blame Sun -- it's their licensing restrictions that mean this
whole rigmarole is required.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way