XFree86 4.4 port - timescale?

Owen.G owen.g at onlinehome.de
Thu Jul 29 11:31:42 PDT 2004

Cheers Tilman,

I just checked again on Ports for "5.2-CURRENT/i386" and
"5.2.1-RELEASE/i386":
version = XFree86-4.3.0,1

True, www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/RELNOTES2.html#4 does say:
'Summary of new features in 4.4.0.  "A new driver for several VIA
integrated graphics chipsets has been added."' and offers a source code
download.

I bought this PC so that, as a newbie, I don't twat the "working" copy
of M$ on my other PC and to always have a working PC with a browser.
CVSup and installing from ports is (only just) within my abilities (if
nothing complains) - there's no way I'd be able to install from a
tarball.  Besides, isn't "Ports" the "preferred" installation medium for
FreeBSD?

So my question remains, how long for XFree86-4.4 in ports?
5.3-RELEASE/i386" perhaps?

Is it also stupid of me to have a LCD monitor capable of only 1280x768
when the VIA driver documentation at www.xfree86.org says the VIA
driver's display resolutions are:

Option "PanelSize" "string"
Specify the size (width x height) of the LCD panel attached to the
system. Sizes 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1400x1050 are
supported.

Owen
====