password

Richard P. Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Thu Jul 29 06:15:38 PDT 2004

To log in as root,

>John Rackham  <sneakycat at lycos.co.uk> wrote:
>> hello  ive got a problem login to freebsd. i had a copy  of freebsd
>> given me and when i installed it  it  asks me  for
>> a login name and password. is there a way of  findin out the login
>> name and password?

User: root
Password:  [leave blank]

Assuming you had the installation media and went through
sysinstall et al, then you should be able to use the
name/password that you entered during that process.  The
commands that Sven give below will tell you what the user
name was, but if you can't remember what the password was,
you'll need to change it to a new one.

Once in, it is recommended you change the root password from
[nothing] to [something], if [nothing] is still the root password:

# passwd
Changing local password for root.
New password: [something]
Retype the password: [something]
passwd: updating the database...
passwd: done
#

If you ever need to change the root password again, you'll need to
log in using single user mode.  The handbook will explain how to
do that.  If you've logged in as a user, then passwd works to
change that user's local password.  If you're logged in as root,
you can change the password of a user using 'passwd -l [username]'
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
and '# man passwd' can help out here.

HTH,
rip

At 13:40 29/07/2004. Sven Pfeifer had this to say: