portupgrade(1) kde fails

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Mon Jul 26 07:33:45 PDT 2004

Kent Stewart wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On a 2nd read, I thought I was kind of sharp.

No problem. I saw the message:

      ===>  kdelibs-3.2.3_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
            kdebase-3.1.2

            They install files into the same place.
            Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
        *** Error code 1

but it seemed misleading because I thought that portupgrade(1)
pkg_delete-ed the old version (after first backing up the files) -
obviously not.

> What you have is a similar
> problem to the old problem with  XFree86-server and -libraries. You
> update -libraries, which contain the new files, and then you delete
> them when you update -server. Then, nothing would update because files
> were missing.
>
> There were a number of comments on -questions or -ports when this first
> happened.

Yes, I'd searched the mailing lists (for KDE problems, not XFree86) but
didn't find anything that seemd relevant, although after your reply some
of them make sense now.

> You might get by just deleting kdebase.

Delete kde-libs surely?

Is this a limitation/shortcoming/bug of portupgrade(1)? Is the whole
point of it ot that it handles, often complex, dependencies for you?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Mark