best virtual server solution?
klr at 6s-gaming.com
Fri Jul 23 20:35:30 PDT 2004
I've been struggling to find the best virtual server solution based on a
FreeBSD 5.2.1 system. I was hoping some members of the list could help me
take this decision. I have questions/thoughts regarding vmware/bsd jails:
- Does it run 5.2.1 nicely ?
- Does a Guest OS (FreeBSD) support multiple IPs?
- Does vmware support Xeon CPUs? (not listen in their site)
- Is a xual xeon 2.8ghz + 4GB ram enough to run, say, 40 virtual
machines using vmware?
- Vmware *really* needs a X session to be working?
- Is there any patch working for multiple jail IPs under 5.2.1-p9 ?
- What jail management tool do you use? I'm are of jailutils and
jailadmin. I'm using jailutils now mainly because of jps, altough I
could use jailadmin and create a quick jail ... ps link that would do
the same. Plus, jailadmin uses a centralized configuration file
which is easier to keep track of.
- syslogd will die on the jail startup (using jstart), but if i run
it manually it will stay running; same for cron.
- Outside mounts are visible inside jails, any way to change this
More information about the freebsd-questions