FreeBSD ISO-image

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jul 23 08:05:48 PDT 2004

> Hello!
>
> So I need to download FreeBSD iso image 4.10
>
> Can anybody say, what a difference between miniinst, disc1 and disc2 iso's

The mini ISO is basically intended to be system to run the install
which you do over the net - eg it boots and does some configuring
slicing, labeling file system building and then you select to
download everything (OS, source if desired, X, ports tree, whatever)
from ftp sites.
It is what I normally use.

The disk1 is a bootable installation system plus the complete FreeBSD
system (OS, ports tree, X, etc) along with some of the more popular ports.
It does not contain all of the ports because that would take numerous
CDs.  I don't remember if it contains the OS source, but I kind of
doubt it due to the space that would be required.

> What is disk2 iso (what's on it)?

The disk2 is a boot from CD "rescue disk".   I have never used it so
I don't know for sure what all is on it, but it is supposed to give
you a running FreeBSD that you can use to fix fat finger and midnight
mental fog errors that otherwise prevent you from booting up your
already installed system  enough to fix them from there.

Some of the commercial CD suppliers include a couple more CDs that
carry more of the ports.    I don't think anyone makes a CD set
that has all of them.

////jerry