Your 3rd and last chance to help me with vmware

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Jul 21 10:20:11 PDT 2004

On 7/20/2004 3:45 PM Thompson, Jimi wrote:

>FreeBSD has 3 types of distros - "CURRENT", "STABLE", and
>"RELEASE". In order of increasing stability, they are:
>
>"CURRENT" = currently in development (Alpha) and by far the least stable
>of the 3
>
>"RELEASE" = released to the populous at large (Beta) and fairly stable
>but may have some issues
>
>"STABLE" = well, just that, stable and the production release of the OS

You've got STABLE and RELEASE mixed-up.  STABLE is the beta and RELEASE
is production.  A RELEASE is a snapshot in the STABLE branch that has
been tested and deemed ready for production.  STABLE is usually "stable"
but is still a development branch and thus, beta.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

HTH,

Drew

--