Random Freeze

Nelis Lamprecht nelis at 8ball.co.za
Wed Jul 21 07:06:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 15:41, Cedric GROSS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running an AMD Duron 700 Box with freeBSD 5.2.1 - RELEASE, and
> sometimes the system freeze so I must reboot. I haven't anything in log.
> So, What could be the problem ?
> How could I obtain some clue of the problem (debug flag, something like
> that..) ?

Hi,

Are you using any sort of traffic shaping( dummynet ) with ipfw ? Had a
similar problem and solved it by setting the timer granularity ( options
HZ=1000 ) in the kernel which is strongly recommended. The machine also
gave me no clue as to why it froze. Checking your memory as already
suggested is also a good idea. You can use the memory test located in
/usr/ports/sysutils/memtest86 which is a great tool. You might also want
to upgrade to the latest source for that particular RELEASE as bugs are
constantly found and corrected.

Regards,
--
Nelis Lamprecht