Your 3rd and last chance to help me with vmware

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Wed Jul 21 04:06:07 PDT 2004

* Ben Paley <ben at spooty.net> [0729 22:29]:
> Hello everybody,
>
> If no-one responds this time I'll get the hint, please excuse me for
> reposting, I'm just going out of my mind!
>
> I'm getting a total crash every time I try to run vmware. This is my system:
>
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> FreeBSD potato.hogsedge.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Tue Jun 22
> 07:07:08 BST 2004     root at potato.hogsedge.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/POTATO
> i386
> bash-2.05b$ pkg_info | grep vmware
> vmware3-3.2.1.2242_7,1 A virtual machine emulator - a full PC in a window

I've had it working under NetBSD before now, a treat. But CURRENT might actually
be relevant, since it uses a few kernel modules - I'd guess 5.x has some API
changes from 4.X

> For a while I was getting some sort of network error: vmware would start as
> long as all the network stuff was disabled, but if I tried to have a
> host-only connection (I haven't even bothered trying a bridged connection) it
> wouldn't run (that is, vmware itself would run fine, but the virtual machine
> wouldn't boot, and I'd get an error message about networking - sorry I didn't
> make a note of it).

Try bridged? and if you don't make a note of the error, people aren't going
to waste their time helping you as a rule, so do that too.

> portupgrade -fR vmware3
>
> and after a lot of waiting around I tried again: now I get a complete crash
> (can't even change to another terminal and kill x) whenever I try to start
> vmware.

sod portupgrade - manually pkg_delete all the vmware crap, then pkg_add it.

> On boot, I get this message:
>
> kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.ko: No such file or
> directory

> -bash-2.05b# locate vmnet.ko
> /usr/local/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.ko

Is the file actually there - what does ls say?

--
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.