Device Driver - before I start
richard.kaestner at ycn.com
Sat Jul 17 14:23:59 PDT 2004
Is there a helping hand to give me some advice where / how to start?
- a "pseudo device", which collects every now and then data from an external
box via serial line (/dev/cuaa1)
Box-Status and some more information shoud be readable,
whichever Commands have to be sent to the Box could be done via ioctl
- using FreeBSD 4.10 ( going to 5.x later)
- I am currently reading:
FreeBSD Handbook and Developers Handbook
Daemonnews: Oct 2000: KLD example / Tutorial
( and McKusik's Design ...)
- And finally: this is going to be my first Unix-Driver ...
(although, I have some experience in low-level programming)
I need Infos on:
- is there a "better" (or "more preferred") way than written above?
- is there a "simple example driver" doing similar things
- actually, can I simply access /dev/cuaa1 from "inside" a driver ?
(suppose, I should not ...)
- or should I simply / better stay with a daemon ?
thanks in advance for hints!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
More information about the freebsd-questions