Tomcat Goes Its Own Way

Robert Helmer robert at roberthelmer.com
Fri Jul 16 14:54:06 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:33:42AM -0500, Jason Dusek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a weird problem with Tomcat:
>
> If I go into the jsp examples and modify the .jspx files, my changes have
> no effect on how they are executed! I can even delete them, it doesn't
> matter - they run just as before. But deleting or modifying .html files in
> the same directory has the expected effected. I have tried restarting
> Tomcat, and I 've even rebooted my machine - it doesn't seem to make any
> difference.
>
> How is this happening? Does Tomcat keep redundant copies of the .jspx files
> somewhere?

Tomcat keeps it's own copies in $TOMCAT_HOME/work/ of the .java
and .class files generated from the JSPs (JSPs are really converted
to servlets at runtime).

However if you update the JSP Tomcat is *supposed* to recompile the JSP
next time you hit it.. I believe it does this by checking the mtime
of the file, did you have the date set incorrectly at any point? Could
the initial modification time of the JSP have been in the future?