Need a network file system with Windows client and freeBSD server

Artem Kuchin matrix at itlegion.ru
Wed Jul 14 09:13:48 PDT 2004

> > I need sime kind of network file system which has a FreeBSD server and
> > Windows clients (particulary Windows XP) and that FreeBSD file share
> > must be mounted on Windows XP under a drive letter. Windows client
> > is FAR FAR away and is behind nat. Traffic costs a lot, so that file
system
> > must not waste it for nothing. Of course, security is very important and
> > security based on IP address is impossible, because client is behind
nat.

> > I have checked the following:
> >
> > 1) Samba3
> >
> > I think i could use it with user security (not share or maybe mixed) but
> > i am not sure about making it open to internet and also i think it
wastes
> > bandwidth. Am i wrong?
>
> Don't use Samba.  It's insecure over the Internet, and it's a bandwidth
> hog.  Very nice for 100mb/sec local filesystems, though.
>
> > 4) NFS
> >
> > Well, i like it very much because we use for freebsd file shareing since
> > year 2000. Hoever, i could not find free NFS client for Windows (but,
hell,
> > i'll buy it) but what's worse i get figure out how to make
authorizartion based on
> > user/password and not on /etc/exports. I need something more secure.
Also,
> > am not sure about bandwidth usage.
>
> It's slightly better than SMB, but still has both problems.  If you run it
> over the Internet, you need to do some sort of encrypted tunnel on top.
>
> I highly recommend setting up sshd on FreeBSD and using WinSCP to move
> files around.  Secure, designed for slow links (thus bandwidth efficient)
> and WinSCP is almost as easy to use as Windows explorer.

So, basically you are saying that there is no solution for what i need?
WinSCP does not suit my needs, because people on windows client must
be able to work on files (mostly html) using different software and it is
not just
about moving then around, but rather editing with special editors and after
editing they must see the result right away on the web server.

i hope i'll find some solution. Your idea about tunnelling is good, i need
to check if i can do it if one end of a tunnel is behind nat.

Artem