Experience needed: growing samba network / ldap ???

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Tue Jul 13 21:46:31 PDT 2004

Hello!

I am running our school's network (a computer room and some
workstations in different places - all Win2k, a Samba PDC and
a proxy - both FreeBSD, 900 users - students, teachers, wheel
(admins)). About the beginning of 2005 we will get a second
computer room in a distant part of the building.
So I guess it would be a good idea to start thinking about
setting up two Backup Domain Controllers (BDC's) in the computer
rooms (is it???).
>From the documentations I have been reading so far, I also guess
it would be a good idea to set up a common user administration
via ldap (is it???) - now I just keep synchronized UNIX and Samba
accounts on the PDC.

Of course ldap is the point where the trouble starts:
   - Could anybody give me some hints how to get started with user
     migration on a FreeBSD/samba system, so I can test this on my
     private network?
   - In the web there are some hints about setting up the BDC as
     NIS/NFS slave server. If I use ldap I don't need NIS anymore
     (right??), what about NFS then?

Thanks for all advices and sorry for the many questions in one
mail, but I have to get my ideas straight, before I start messing
around with a running network :-)

Uli.