Confusion / minor problem using nss_ldap

Daniel Ruthardt daniel.ruthardt at dowee.com
Mon Jul 12 03:01:13 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I've installed FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE connecting to an OpenLDAP Server
running on a Linux box.
nss_ldap as well as pam_ldap is working fine.
I am able to connect to my FreeBSD box via ssh without any problmes.
`id` shows my correct user information, which is:

    %id
    uid=503(daniel.ruthardt) gid=503(serverAdmins)
groups=503(serverAdmins), 501(sambaUsers), 502(sambaAdmins)

Now the problem / confusing thing:

(1) Although my primary group id should be 503 , everything created by
my user shows up with group wheel.
(2) Although everyhting seems to work without any problems, `ls`never
shows my username, only my user id (and that although I can see a
successful query for my user id in the log file of the LDAP server).

    %mkdir daniel
    %ls -l
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x  2 503  wheel  512 Jul 12 11:56 daniel
    drwxr-xr-x  2 503  wheel  512 Jul 12 11:37 test
    %

Can anybody point me in the right direction what might go wrong here?

Greets and thanks in advance,
Daniel