PATH var and more...

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 01:16:04 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 04:54:27PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jul 11), Miguel Cardenas said:
> > I've installed MySQL 4.0.20 successfully from source code and
> > programs work fine, but have still two little "problems"...
> >
> > 1. Can't add /usr/local/mysql/bin to the PATH var from the main
> > configuration... Tried to add:
> >    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin to /etc/profile, but didn't
> > work. It only works if I send the command through the bash shell or
> > in $HOME/.profile but /etc/profile does not work... why?  don't want
> > to append it to the .profile of each user!!!
>
> Add some echos to /etc/profile to make sure it's really being executed,
> maybe.

Modifying the default path setting in /etc/login.conf works well, and
applies to all shells.  Remember to run 'cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf'
after your edits.

> > 2. MySQL is working fine now, but now that am creating/porting a
> > client application, once compiled it does not find
> > libmysqlclient.so... tried to append the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and
> > ld-elf.so.conf and run ldconfig, but still not found by system when
> > invoking a program that uses it... how can I add /usr/local/mysql/lib
> > to the libraries path?
>
> Edit /etc/rc.conf and add your path to ldconfig_paths, or create a
> small startup script to put in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with the command
> "ldconfig -m /usr/local/wherever_libmysqlclient.so_is". /etc/ld.so.conf
> is a Linuxism.
>
> Or solve both of your problems at once by removing /usr/local/mysql and
> installing the /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-client and mysql40-server
> ports :)

That just moves the mysql shlibs from /usr/local/mysql/lib to
/usr/local/lib/mysql -- the mysqlXX-client port will install
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/000.mysql-client.sh to add /usr/local/lib/mysql to
the search path for shlibs automatically.  However that can be run too
late in the startup sequence for some purposes.  In that case, you can
use the 'ldconfig_paths' variable in /etc/rc.conf:

    ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/mysql"

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way