How Critical Is It To Use an ISP Running FreeBSD or BSD/OS?

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 11 22:05:38 PDT 2004

Lucas Holt wrote:

> If it is a small ISP, then the a unix like operating system on their
> servers might me someone there can help you.  With large isps, its
> irrelivant.  They will only support Windows, Mac Classic (os 9 or
> lower) and maybe OSX if you are lucky.
>
> That being said, I'd like to point out that some isps are willing to
> work with you.  I started work in the computer industry in 98 at a
> very small isp.  I was the first tech hired.  I had experience when i
> started with Windows 3.1-95, NT 4, OS/2 Warp 3, and Redhat 5.0.  By
> the time I left in 2000, I handled all "odd" os calls. Basically our
> techs could only handle windows 95, 98 and to some degree win 2k
> calls.  I handled all NT4, OS/2, Linux, HP-UX (yeah we got some),
> Solaris, and Mac calls.  if i wasn't there, customers were told to
> call during my next scheduled shift.  The other techs wouldn't
> consider trying to help them.  Often they just wanted dns servers, or
> phone numbers.  The mere mention of another os scared the techs off.
> I was considered tier 2 support, web designer/webmaster and the NT sys
> admin at the company which only had 15 employees in 2000.  We had
> about 4000 dialups and 1000 hosting accounts (mostly linux).
>
> In short, if you know explicit questions to ask then you can get
> help.  If not, you are out of luck.  I have to lie to SBC to get help
> with my DSL line when it goes down just because i have a router and
> non windows based oses in the house. :)
>
> Lucas Holt
> Luke at FoolishGames.com
> FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
> JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

Luke,
Hopefully, I'll find an ISP committed to supporting the FreeBSD platform.
Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I gain the expertise necessary to
talk MS
and translate that to FreeBSD.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0