mounting disks

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Jul 8 14:21:29 PDT 2004

> hi.
> my computer has two disks with 1.5 GB each.  during instillation, i created
> four slices: ad0s1,ad0s2,ad1s1,and ad1s2.  how do i mount all these slices
> using Mount pt. in FreeBSD Disklabel Editor?  what letter shoud i type when
> it ask for mount pt.?

If you are really using the regular disklabel editor you do not
name mount points with it.  You create partitions.   Mount points
are named in /etc/fstab.   Mount points must be directory names
and the directories must be created before attempting the mount.

Anyway, you do not mount slices in FreeBSD.   You mount partitions.
At the very least, you must use disklabel to create at least one
partition in each slice.   Then you would mount ad0s1a, ad0s2a,
ad1s1a, ad1s2a (presuming you use 'a' to name the partitions).

But, probably you really don't want 4 slices.  You might really want
to create 1 slice in each disk that takes up all of the available disk
and then use disklabel to create 2 partitions in each slice.
Then you would have ad0s1a, ad0s1e, ad1s1a, ad1s1e

You need to create directories on which to mount the partitions.
They can be anywhere that is available when the mount is done.

The final thing is that you need to create entries in /etc/fstab
that tell it where to do the mounts.

You can then mount the partitions

You can also use /stand/sysinstall to do the work, but fdisk/disklabel
aren't hard if you are just doing simple stuff.

If you are already using /stand/sysinstall and don't know what it
means when it asks for a mount point, then that means you give it
the name of a directory on which  you want it to mount the partitions.
If the directory does not exist, /stand/sysinstall will create it.
Also, /stand/sysinstall will write the entries in /etc/fstab for you.

Once you have all this correct, the partitions will be mounted
at boot, but you can use the mount(8) command to do it before
a reboot.

////jerry