NFS and Backups

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Sun Jul 4 05:48:07 PDT 2004

Hmm, Perhaps a complete layout and network explanations is in order here....

- I have a total of 5 servers, all running freebsd.
- All servers have two NICS, 1 LAN and 1 WAN, all are hardwired to my
switch. (No wireless involved.
- The switch IS configured to allow WAN access to WAN ports only, and LAN
access to LAN ports only.
- WAN is using serveral hundered IPS on serveral subnets. LAN is using a
single ssubnet of 254 (using the 192.168 scema).
-The servers are locked in a very secure cage, accesssable by me, my partner
(who never goes there), and a bonded network technician.
- Peerl 1 is the Colo provider (In the Toronto NOC).
- Two of my servers are our primary and secondary nameservers. The other
three use those nameservers excelusively.
- The hosts files include two names for each server, the fully qualified
domain i.e. "machine1.mydomain.com" and the LAN name which is just the local
machine name i.e. "machine1"
- The exports files use the local machine name only i.e.
"/backups -alldirs -maproot=0    machine1 machine2 ..."
-Just to be clear, each machine is plugged directly into the main switch
shown below, no hubs or anything in between.
Here is the layout:

POP

                Lan  Wan    Lan  Wan    Lan  Wan    Lan  Wan    Lan  Wan
                Machine1    Machine2    Machine3    Machine4    Machine5