Grub installation from the ports collection vs. Freebsd boot loader

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Sat Jul 3 13:05:05 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 03:01:07PM -0400, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> Happy 4th!
>
> okay, now that's out of the way. I am bored with freebsds' boot loader
> and want to install Grub from the ports collection.
>
> My question is: When grub installs, will it find my partitions and set
> everything up for me? So, when I reboot grub is working.
>
> Here is my hard drive setup
> ----------------------------
> Partition 0 ) 5g: Windows 2k
> Partition 1 ) 35g: Freebsd 5.2.1
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Bruce

No, when you install Grub from ports, it will only install some
commandline-tool, nothing will be changed to your configuration.

You will need this commandline-tool to install Grub into your MBR.  If
you want a menu at boot, you will also have to create a textfile
describing the various menu-items (different OS'es or just different
kernels for example).  All this may seem rather complicated, but once
you get it, it's pretty easy.  It's also very powerful.

Just checkout the documentation (it's very well documented).  If you
have installed Grub from ports, just do "info grub" and you'll get all
you need to know, with lots of examples too.  (Remember you don't have
to be afraid to install Grub from the ports, as it will change nothing
to your system automatically.)

GH