core dump location

Chris bsdnewbie at coolarrow.com
Fri Jul 2 16:14:42 PDT 2004

5.2.1-RELEASE

I tried using this command to change the location where my core dump is being written:

sysctl kern.corefile="/var/coredumps/%U/%N.core"

After doing that, new core dumps didn't show up there. I tried creating the directory (wasn't sure if it would be created with the first core dump or not) and chmod it to 0777 just to make sure it was writeable by any process - still no core dumps there.

Is there a way to put it back the way it was, where the core dump ends up in the working directory as programname.core ?

Thanks,
Chris
Email harvesters eat this: sendjunkmailhere at coolarrow.com