cvsupdate and make totally hoses the system

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Fri Jul 2 15:59:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:28:29 -0700
David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu> wrote:

> I've done this twice now.. I install a clean 4.10-Release from ftp.
> I install cvsupdate without gui.  I create my cvsupdate file in etc
> and run cvsupdate.
>
> then per instructions from the website
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>
> You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt
> for example). Then run:
>
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
>
> ======
> I cvsup to releng_4_10.
>
> the first hiccup comes with mergemaster as there are new accounts
> created for pf.  thats fine. I just merge the new accounts.
>
> the second hiccup comes with the first invocation of make
> installworld. It dies telling me there is no hints file. So I copy
> GENERIC.hints to /boot and rerun. Then after a lot of work, make
> installworld dies with a core dump. And, now I have a completely
> unusable system.  Everything is does with the same error -- my binary
> and kernel and libs our completely out of sync.
>
> I made two changes to make.conf (set usa resident, set noprofile).
> my cvsufile is below.
>
> where am I going wrong?
>
> -------------------
> *default  host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
> *default  base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default  prefix=/usr
> *default  release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix
> *default  tag=RELENG_4_10
>
> *default tag=.
> ports-all tag=.
> src-all tag=.
> -----------------

heya David,

is everything between the lines above in the same file?  if so, my guess
(not 100% sure) would be that you've got 'default tag' specified twice.
i'm not sure which one cvsup is reading, but if it is the second, you're
inadvertently supping CURRENT, not 4.10.

are you able to boot up, adjust that sup file, and cvsup again?

through the boot commands (where you do boot -s), you can unload the kernel
that is installed and load the previous one KERNEL.old.  this may help.  if
not, do you have a rescue disc?

sorry, but i'm not sure what else to suggest at this point.