What hostname should I set?

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 31 17:02:23 PST 2004

Assigning an Host name to your FBSD system

Your FBSD operating system has internal software applications (like
sendmail for one) that needs to know the fully qualified domain name
of the PC it's running on. You do this by adding this option
statement   hostname=    to /etc/rc.conf.

This is the format to use.

thisPCname.fakeDOMAINname.tld

Where thisPCname came be any name you want to identify this
particular pc on your LAN. Since the goal of this Installation Guide
is to build an FBSD gateway server, the name of this PC should be
gateway.

Where .fakeDOMAINname  can be any name you want as long as it's not
an registered domain name on the public internet, unless of course
it's registered to you. Using FBSDyourlastname is an safe fake
domain name to use here. So if my name is Tom Jones, I would use
fbsdjones.

Where .tld can be any of the standard TLD's currently in use. Such
as .com or .usa or .info or .cc, but since .com is the most commonly
used TLD, I recommend using .com

Gateway.fbsdjones.com is an very acceptable fake host name to use.

	ee /ect/rc.conf

and add this option statement to the file

hostname="gateway.fbsdjones.com"

Save the changed file and 'reboot' your system for your edit changes
to take effect.

When the reboot stops at the login prompt, the line displayed just
above it will now contain your host name you just added to rc.conf.

Installer Note: If you have an official registered domain name that
you want to use for your email sendmail server, then use that in the
hostname= statement. Example, if my registered domain name was
cyberman.com then hostname='cyberman.com' is what I would code.

Hosts File

FBSD looks in this file first to reconcile private LAN domain names
to IP address, this includes the domain name you assigned to this
FBSD system with the 'hostname=' statement from the above step.

	ee /etc/hosts

	Find this statement.
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain

	change this to
127.0.0.1 localhost gateway.fbsdjones.com