anonymous ftp

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 00:27:59 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:49:12AM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> I'm setting up an anonymous ftp server. I understand that a user named
> "ftp" can log in without a password, and that "anonymous" is an alias
> for user ftp. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to assign other
> aliases for ftp, let us say user "aardvark" or "scary.daemon" whatever?
> How would I go about doing that?

It depends on which FTP server software you're using.  For the
built-in ftpd, see ftpd.conf(5), ftpusers(5) and ftpchroot(5) --- but
basically you need something like this:

    /etc/ftpusers:

    root
    toor
    daemon
    operator
    bin
    tty
    kmem
    games
    news
    man
    sshd
    bind
    uucp
    xten
    pop
    www
    nobody
    mailnull
    smmsp
    # UIDs for anonymous FTP
    aardvark allow guest
    scary.daemon allow guest

That's all you need, but if you want to make the FTP session chroot to
some other directory, or make the FTP daemon display various messages
when the user logs in, use /etc/ftpd.conf and /etc/ftpchroot as well.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way