X Windows

peter lageotakes plageotakes at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 22:51:58 PST 2004

--- Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> About 6 months ago, I was having trouble generating
> my X config file (so
> that it would run in 800x600, etc. etc.).  The
> command line config would
> work but I would never know my video card, etc.
> Then someone told me a
> utility to use that actually automatically detected
> my video card and
> generated the config for me.  I don't believe I even
> had to install
> anything extra.... Configurator? or something like
> that.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -matt

Here is a quick and dirty way of getting your card
detected and getting x up fast. The command below will
build a skeleton file.

XFree86 -configure

Step 2: copy the file to /etc/X11 and remove the .new
extension.

cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config

Then either go into /stand/sysinstall and do a post
configuration setup. Select X server and use ncurses
based interface to edit your monitor and keyboard
settings.  Double check all the settings to make sure
they are correct.  Instead of going into
/stand/sysinstall you could actually use:
xf86cfg --textmode which is the same ncurses based
installer.  The advantage for myself is that almost
all possible tweaks and settings are set inside the
file for tuning at a later date.

You can go and use the same ncurses installer via
/stand/sysinstall but it wont add all the settings.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Pete

=====
ESCape with VI. Cheese A La mode.