Problem with mount_ntfs

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jan 30 07:37:35 PST 2004

> > It's a while since I had to mount an ntfs, so I hope this isn't wasting
> > your time... But are you using an incomplete description of the
> > partition you want to mount? I'd have expected it to be more like:
> >
> > #mount -t ntfs /dev/ad0s1e /mnt
>
> The mount line looks perfectly correct to me.  The last part of the name you
> are adding are "slices" which are what FBSD uses to divide up a partition.
> They are not relevant to NTFS.

Just a little side terminology snit here.   The 'e' refers to a _partition_
which FreeBSD uses to divide up _slices_ 's1' rather than the other
way around.   It is MS that calls slices partitions.  FreeBSD slices basically
correspond to MS primary partitions.   FreeBSD partitions divide slices
into the pieces on which file systems are created.

Sorry for the somewhat off track comment.
I haven't tried to mount NTFS slices but when I mount DOS FATs as msdos type
I do not use any partition identifier (the 'e' in the above comment) because
there is none.  It is a FreeBSD thing and non-existant on a msdos type
slice (MS primary partition, neither FAT nor NTFS).

> I tried a couple of different possible error scenarios -- mounting NTFS over
> already mounted partition and mounting the NTFS twice -- but neither generated
> the error the original sender is getting.
>
> Just to double-check the mount line, mine looks like
>
> 	/sbin/mount_ntfs /dev/ad1s1 /windows
>
> One thing I can suggest is that you run scandisk (from Windows!) over the NTFS
> partition, even if it us brand new.  I had bizarre error from PartitionMagic
> on my new PC when I tried slicing off some of the NTFS partition and it turned
> out that there were some errors which scandisk fixed up.
>
> Final thought, it is an NTFS partition you are mounting and not a FAT16 or
> FAT32 one?  Obvious I know, but sometimes it is the obvious!

Good thought.   They got us some new desk machines with XP a while back and
I just assumed it had an NTFS like some previous Win2K machines, but it was
actually FAT something and I almost skrewed up when I went to slice it for
dual boot.   So, it mounts as msdos type in FreeBSD, not ntfs type.
Fortunately I woke up in the middle of running Partition Magic and noticed.
So, check it out.

////jerry