login

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Jan 30 05:53:42 PST 2004

"chuck" <chuckepl at core.com> writes:

> Hi, I have freebsd 4.8 and finley got it installed but I can't get past the login.... When I installed it it asked for a password and I did enter one but it never seems to work.   I am running a HP Pavillion XE738.     I reinstalled 4 times but can't get past the login?

Did you create a user account?
If not, the password you made belongs to the "root" account.
If you failed to create the password properly, then the root account
might still have a blank password (i.e., just hit return).

See the FreeBSD Handbook description of
  "The Superuser Account"
    <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users-superuser.html>
and